Are you Self-Employed?

Written By elderpark_admin


If you are not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay, (SSP) – for example if you are self-employed or earning below the Lower Earnings Limit of £118 per week – and you have coronavirus or are advised to stay at home, you can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit or new style Employment and Support Allowance.

If you are eligible for new style Employment and Support Allowance, it will now be payable from day one of sickness, if you have coronavirus or are advised to stay at home. If you are off work for any other reason, you will still have to wait the 7 days.

Meanwhile, on Thursday of last week the UK Government announced a new scheme to help self employed workers similar to what has been offered to employees.

The Government will pay a “grant” which will do the following

 cover 80% of monthly profits up to £2500

  • It is only valid for businesses with a trading profit of less that £50k per year
  • You must have submitted your Income Tax Self-Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19

 More details can be found here:


  • Disability Confident Employer
  • Awards